Bible resources for your First World War centenary events
During the First World War we gave out 43 million items of Scripture to soldiers in the UK and abroad. To help people reflect on the WW1 centenary, we have developed the following resources for churches and schools:
- A replica edition of our 1914 Active Service John’s Gospel for use in schools, church services and civic events. Order the Gospel here.
- Background information on the WW1 Gospels and ideas on how to use them in your church. Download our information pack here.
- A Remembrance Day prayer card, available to order here. There is also a Remembrance Day video resource for use during the two minutes silence - watch on YouTube or download from Vimeo.
- Christmas resource Silent Night to tell the unique story of the Christmas truce. Order Silent Night.
- Silent Night downloadable resources to help you plan seasonal events and services around the Christmas truce. Download the resource pack.
- Two films themed around Silent Night to use during services. Show The Christmas Truce to describe what happened in 1914, and play Silent Night during a time of reflection. Download from Vimeo.
- WW1 film resources for use in churches and youth groups, or for individual reflection. Watch the videos on YouTube.
- Scripture Union have created lesson plans and ideas for teachers, to accompany the gospel. Download the plans here.
- Youth For Christ have developed lesson plans for teenagers that explore the big questions surrounding the First World War, such as the cost of war and sacrifice Download them from the YFC website.
Further digital resources, service ideas and liturgy to accompany the Active Service Gospel will be available to download soon.