- Fourth biggest population group on the planet – 257 million.Over 70% of Indonesia’s population live in rural areas.
- Most people in the villages are subsistence farmers.
- Life is centred around agriculture and farming.
- Meals are very important for community and relationship.
- Families are usually quite large and they often live close to extended family.
- Children often grow up and work on family farms, though increasingly teenagers leave home to find work in nearby cities. This is difficult for farming families.
- Most village dwellers are Muslim, but are very nominal in faith and practice.
- In most Indonesian villages, there will be a church and a small Christian community. These can be Catholic, Presbyterian and occasionally Pentecostal.
- Most Indonesians, particularly of Muslim background, really like wisdom and like to hear things about wisdom.